“In today’s competitive Electronics and High Tech market, ECAD, SCHEMATICS and MCAD teams must work together seamlessly in order to get winning products faster to market. “
Products are increasingly using electrical and electromechanical components as part of the design. Adding to this that development tools and databases are dispersed many companies are challenged with looking at the “right” version of a released product. Furthermore it’s challenging to understand the physical status as ECAD (PDB), Schematics and 3D CAD tools are not the same. The challenge can be divided into two main buckets:
Process challenges (PLM)
Release and change management.
- Shared libraries and part reuse.
- Component sourcing and supplier management.
Design Challenges (CAD)
- CAD collaboration and format conversions.
- Assembly management – clash detection.
- Enterprise view of information
What is Product Lifecycle Management (PLM)?
PLM is a system designed to manage all product-related information over its lifecycle in a Bill of Material (BOM) centered structure. The system is part centric and all information is linked to the article. Structures are built, based on articles that represent the complete sellable product and manage all the information created in the lifecycle. Change process, variant management, alternative BOMs, document management, CAD data integration are some other features of a PLM.
Why improve the collaboration between ECAD, Schema and MCAD teams?
PDSVision has implemented cases of collaboration between the disciplines both from a CAD design perspective but also a PLM Perspective. Here is top 3 of what our customer’s state as the benefits from these implementations:
- Streamlines electromechanical design collaboration processes, reducing time-to-market and decreasing cost.
- Improves design quality; seamless integration reduces errors and improves data integrity.
- Enhances traceability of the design IP, for knowledge capture and design reuse.
PLM Solution – One single BOM to manage
Manage Schema/ECAD versions, release, libraries, components and component 3D information in one single source, together with mechanical design. With Windchill PDMLink we allow you to manage all aspects of product design.
- One single enterprise BOM for management and release
- Enterprise change management for all development disciplines.
- Synchronized component libraries
- Direct integration to ECAD authoring tools (Cadence, Mentor, Altium and Zuken).
- Direct integration to Schema tools (E3, Eplan).
- Enterprise visualization for ECAD and MCAD.
- Parts classification.
- Component sourcing and vendor management.
- BOM analysis.
CAD Solution – ECAD to MCAD integration
- An interface between ECAD (PCB) authoring tools and Creo.
- ECAD-MCAD Incremental Data Exchange (IDX) between team members.
- Cross-domain management including ability to preview updates and accept/reject individual design changes.
- Capture design change history who changed what, why and when.
CAD Solution – Schema to physical design in CREO
- End-to-end design tools for schematics, cabling and harness manufacturing.
- Standalone 2D Schematics tool for cabling design – Creo Schematics.
- XML integration from E3 and Eplan to Creo Cabling.
- Associative change process.
- Complete 2D-3D Cabling solution.
- Auto routing, flexible components.
- Harness manufacturing.
- Production lists, cable lengths.